Monday, January 08, 2007

Me

I feel inclined to post a picture of myself. I am especially considering making this my identity photo in this blog, rather than using my picture of when I was four.

One of the main reasons is because I feel I need to shed my primary identity as a child. I am not a child. I may have scars today that were received as a child, but that is not who I am. I am a grown woman, an adult and I need to remind myself of that. I'm not that little girl who was abandoned by her parents. I am a woman who is responsible, compassionate and lovable. I am a woman who can be strong, smart and independent. I am Me and proud of it.

My Ladybug took this picture of me. I crouched down to get to her level for a good shot. This is how she sees me. Her parent, the adult, the woman in charge in the household. I can be fun, authoritative and my kisses make any boo-boo feel better. I am her rock, her confidant, her superhero. I am her mother and I love that role most of all.

I'll leave that little girl as my photo for one more day. But I'm going to try to shed this identity once and for all.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Jan 8, 2007, 8:23:00 PM, Blogger Iris said...

It is a wonderful picture, and I am sure that your daughter sees you as what you describe.......

As do my own children. I wanted to reply to your comment on my blog, but I couldn't find an email to send it to, so I will do it here.

I have to say, your reply was hurtful. I do not seek approval from anyone but myself. That is the whole idea behind my other blog, Imperfect Perfections. Secondly, you make me sound like an ogre to my children. I know you justify things by saying you don't know my life or my family......yet you still seem to pass judgement. My children are learning that being part of a family means doing their share, with or without reward. That is the reality of life. My children get all kinds of rewards, they have a mother who loves them and would die for them......something a lot of children do not have. They have warm home to live in, enough food to eat, a lot more clothes than they need.....all because I work very hard at my job. To expect a little courtesy in return is not unreasonable, and I should not have to shower them with even more reward.

That post was written by a very weary nurse, who had had a hell of a weekend at work, who only wanted a cup of tea before she had to go out again to another 12 hour shift. You cannot take those words and generalize them to my whole life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home