Friday, November 03, 2006

My family through my uncle's pictures



Perspective is everything. Isn't it? We can grow up in the same household at the same time as everyone else, and have a different perspective on our family and our lives. Supposedly, my uncle says he grew up in an almost-perfect household. Ahem! I lived in the same house as he from the time he was about 17. Albeit a little late in the stages of his growth, I was still raised by the same people.

My grandfather was the kindest, most lovable person I will ever know. He was funny and his presence could light up a room. He was one of 13 children and everyone adored him. However, he never went to a baseball game of my uncle's. I don't remember (or remember hearing of) him ever spending time alone with his children (except for me!) because he had two jobs and worked constantly. He also had a fairly decent social life of playing cards with his buddies and brothers at least twice a week. I will never fault him from having some sort of escape and enjoying himself away from home. I think it's what kept him sane. My grandmother was controlling, anxious and not sociable, and I remember her even telling him that he could never do anything right.

Before I go on, I must say that my grandfather definitely made up for not being present in his kids lives with me and my uncle's boys. He was the one who always got on the floor with us and let us jump all over him. He was the one who took me to the park, to the movies, and came to every one of my bowling games when I was 12 and on the bowling team. He was the one who always made me laugh. He was my hero, and my light.

ANYWAY, I just thought I'd share on this blog (especially since I haven't written in awhile) the photo montage that I put together for my Uncle's 50th Birthday. It made me reflect on our family's life from his perspective of having a great person for a father but who wasn't really there, and a mother who was... not June Cleaver. I think it actually made him a great father, who is always and I mean ALWAYS there for his boys. My uncle might not be the most ambitious but he always made time for his kids. He's worked nights for most of their lives and has lost so much sleep because he does so much for them during the day, he can't sleep anymore.

So here's to you, Uncle V. By the way, I'm only in one picture in this thing... I'm about 17 with big hair. My mom is the one with the red hair and fair skin and my grandfather is the old-looking guy with the little kids (my uncle's boys). You'll be able to figure out who my grandmother is. I didn't place these pictures in chronological order for this montage, so they kind of jump around a bit. I wanted to put the right pics to the words to the song instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home