Monday, September 04, 2006

"Final Score is Love" - Andre Agassi's last match



It's unfortunate that I found a certain passion for tennis so late in life. I remember when I was a kid how my mother used to have a crush on Andre Agassi. "I dreamt about him last night!" she said one day with such fervor. My stepfather has played tennis for as long as I can remember and he's even an instructor now at his local club. Somehow I was never into the game. I hate to say it but I think I was waiting for someone to want me to have an interest in the game.

Anyway this year, I have played tennis at least once a week, and even played in a doubles league this past season. And I wish I could play more. Today, I'm trying to learn a lot about the current and legendary players, study the technical aspect of the game, and become a true fan.

I'm absolutely ecstatic to say that for Andre Agassi's last match -- I was there. My mother, who was watching my little Ladybug while we were out, even called me at the beginning of the match to say, "I see you on TV!" That was how close we were!!

My husband and I were one of the 21,000+ fans who gave Agassi the 8-minute long standing ovation; we were one of the few who were there to cry with him in that stadium, and hear his words of greatness.

I'm so happy I married an avid tennis fan for more reasons than one. It's given me a new passion in life, a big attitude about my own game (albeit very much a beginner's game), and allowed me to partake in tennis history.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/04/sports/tennis/04tennis.html?ref=sports

1 Comments:

At Sep 4, 2006, 5:24:00 PM, Blogger cmhl said...

wow--- I would have loved to have been there.

I LOVE tennis..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home