Sunday, November 12, 2006

My mother sells stuff on ebay




Ebay is an interesting concept. I was hooked on it for a short time (I love to find something to obsess about). I would find things in the house, in my basement storage cabinet, and in our closets that was worthy of selling. I would put it up for bid, and watch it at almost every waking moment I could to see if people were visiting, bidding or asking questions.

I've sold a coach briefcase that I gave to my husband that he never used. I've sold some of Ladybugs clothing that she got as gifts but either she or I didn't like and I didn't care to keep in storage. I've sold some of my old work clothes that were in near perfect condition. I've sold some old wedding presents that were still in boxes and never opened. I've also sold some things I've purchased myself, didn't use or open for some reason and never cared to return. For me, it was simply a hobby not a moneymaker, and a great way to clean out some closet space.

But if you really think about it, you can kind of learn about a person by what they sell on ebay. It's kind of like how the paparazzi goes through a big star's garbage. The clothes they don't like, the items that were once favored and now no longer meaningful, the things they had high hopes for and then just sold away. You get to see the things they've owned, the things they've cared for, the things they don't like. It's a very small window into someone's life.

I really don't know my mother. I mean, I do know part of who she is -- she gave birth to me, and raised me until I was 2. I know she's extremely insecure, unsure of herself, the blacksheep of the family, boisterous, loves crab legs, potato chips, playing online video games, and to decorate/remodel her home. I know she's a little selfish in her thinking, has had one best friend since she's about 9 or 10 year old, etc. etc. I even feel like I know and understand why she sent me away to live with my grandmother. In some ways, I guess I do know a lot of things, but I know nothing about her everyday life. I don't really know what she does on her days off, what she makes for dinner, what she buys when she goes shopping. I don't know her favorite color, her favorite movie or what color the scarves are that she's crocheting for her friends. It's weird the things you take advantage of when you live someone. You know so much more about them, even more than you realize. I never really lived with my mother, so I really don't feel like I'll ever truly really KNOW her.

I've known for long time now that my mother also had an Ebay "habit" and a couple of months ago, she sent me a link to an item she had purchased. Well, I did some detective work and found her user ID. Now, I constantly check it to see what she's buying and selling. I've read the reviews on her products and all the reviews she's given. She is an ideal seller and an ideal customer. It sounds like she ships items out super fast and with super care. She likes to buy little crystal ornaments and Lancome makeup. Her user ID is even a nomenclature of her identity as a grandmother, which I found quite interesting.

Looking at this little window of items on ebay has added to her mystery. I'm thankful for this sneaky little peak into this part of her world. I wonder who gave her the large serving dish that she sold. I wonder why she bought a cranberry colored towel on ebay when that probably could have been purchased at JC Penney or something. Her pictures look professional, with backdrops and great lighting and everything. I imagine her setting the items up for pretty pictures, and taking such great time and care to send them off in neat little packages. And with every item sold, I wonder why she gave it away and found it no longer meaningful enough to have in her home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home